Wednesday, March 30, 2011

India, Pakistan and Cricket

It's always tempting not to spend hours infront of idiot box when arch-rivals Pakistan and India are playing cricket. It's not just about the supremacy in the field of the game, it's also about history, politics, emotions, diplomacy, relations, religion and pride. I will not venture much into it. 

I could not help but head straight to the Eggers 341 (a room in Moynihan Institute of Global Affairs, Syracuse University) where the semi-final match between India and Pakistan was being telecast live under the co-ordination of the South Asia Center, Moynihan Institute of Global Affairs, Syracuse University. 

The score was 60/2(20) for Pakistan when I got into the room and the first thing I did was to find out the chasing target for Pakistan. Mr. Saidal, another humphrey fellow from Pakistan who is a good friend of mine said, "260". "hmmm still doable" I said.   With the spell of every ball, overs elapsed and I could see the pressure being build up to the Pakistanis as the two men on the crease failed to find single boundary in almost seven overs. But I knew that, it is the beauty of the game. You never know- sometimes until the last ball of the final over as to who will actually win the game. There was excitement all over. 

But what was even more exciting was in the fact that I was actually watching the game with people from these two countries in the same room. That was the first time ever in my life and it was quite an experience. A particular moment that caught my attention was when one of the IAS officers who was also a student at Maxwell School of Syracuse University shook hands with my Pakistani friend to celebrate the fall of Pakistani's third wicket. 

Although the situation wasn't as tensed and awkward as it was with Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh and Yousuf Raza Gilani in the stadium, as much as I saw diplomacy and civility I also saw emotions and feelings for one's own country. And for those who care, India won the match and they will be facing Sri Lanka in the finals. 

Great moment indeed! and how I wish the two countries could work out their differences once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment