Monday, May 7, 2012

Turning point


I have options not to take this path.
Photo courtesy: http://agewell-initiatives.blogspot.com/
There is no empirical study done to establish how civil servants faired their post-retirement life even though several of them retired over several years.  A couple of retirees that I see around paint different picture all together. While there are some doing extremely well and living a happy and comfortable life, there are others who are not doing well and consistently grappling to make their ends meet. 

While some of the happier retirees are happy simply by banking on their well to do children, some seem to be cashing in from the fortune they made during the hay days whether legal or illegal. But for retirees like Ap Kado, who has neither children nor fortune, post-retirement life has not been any merrier and it's Ap Kado's post-retirement condition that got me into thinking……"Can I ever secure my future as Civil Servant?"…………..... "Where is the guarantee that I will be Ap Kado after my retirement?"

The socio-economic and demographic conditions have radically changed to rest assured that my children will do well in future. The ever changing values and quickly degrading culture is increasingly accelerating uncertainties in the certainty of banking on my children even if they do well in future. The number of aged people loitering in and around Thimphu city stands testimony to it.

There is neither any hay days like those days for any civil servants to make fortune to secure my gray days. As much as it is ethically and morally incorrect, there is also very less opportunity for anyone to be corrupt and prosper. Unlike in the past, together with risk of detecting corrupt acts the cost of corruption has also increased drastically.

That being the case and the fact that there is hardly any thing left from my legal income at the end of a month, Ap Kado is increasingly becoming my reality and it’s time I act now to change this reality.  

1 comment:

  1. Daddy,

    Don't worry. I will study hard and look after you and mummy when you are old.

    Love,

    Lhaki

    ReplyDelete